Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rating Pain (1-10)

Pondering excessively on the suffering of others seems to cloud my perspective...

In the medical setting, it behooves one to reflect on the existence of pain/suffering because it helps one empathize with patients, presumably enhancing the doctor-patient relationship. Looking at someone in the eyes with intent and expressing sympathy can open a channel of understanding and rapport. Still, no degree of empathy can amend the harsh reality: sick people suffer. As any good Samaritan, you strive to alleviate the experience of suffering-- sometimes to no avail, like standing idle before a burning at the stake.

So as [any] coward, I avoid thinking about its metaphysical origin-- I still cannot find a good reason for its existence. Considering all the meaningless reasons for the suffering of people, why should one bother to rationalize or make sense of them?

There is a box inside of me where at the end of the day, I place all these moments. I make an effort each day to close the box before returning home. As usual, the very next day this sealed box cracks open. If fortune smiles, each will say "...0/10 today.”

3 comments:

Jack said...

Don't you have to distance yourself from the patients to get by with all the suffering around you?

Nearly a Med Student - The Journey to Medical School

Restless Med Student said...

Hey Jack,

It is true, one should distance oneself in this setting not only to maintain objectivity but also to avoid feeling inadequate.

I think this is a process that takes time... Finding the proper balance of compassion and objectivity is my dilemma, I guess.

Leonardo Bartowski said...

This is a very hard situation to be in. You must be very courageous to go through this everyday. I think it may be normal for a good doctor to feel this way. You must maintain objectivity but you feel compassion for your patients which drives you to do what you do.

Medical Career Training
Nursing Schools